StrongWomen/Growing Stronger 6-Week Challenge
The StrongWomen/Growing Stronger 6-Week Challenge program is a safe, effective, 6-week strength-training and nutrition program for individuals who have been active or sedentary for the past few years and are interested in improving their health.
Based on research conducted by Dr. Miriam Nelson and her colleagues at Tufts University, we know that women from age 35 on can start to lose 1/4 to 1/3 pound of muscle each year and gain that much or more in fat. Over time the loss of 2% of strength per year results in weak muscles and difficulty moving. When this happens, physical activity slows, which leads to more loss of muscle mass and a sedentary, dependent lifestyle.
The classes, which meet twice a week, consist of a nutrition lesson and 8-12 strength training exercises that help improve strength, balance, and flexibility. Make a commitment to becoming healthier and feeling better about yourself. Join a StrongWomen/Growing Stronger or StrongWomen/Growing Stronger 6-Week Challenge program sponsored by Penn State Extension. You can remain vital throughout your lifetime through healthy eating and exercise. Individuals who have participated in the program have become stronger, more active, and energized.
- Individuals 40 and over
- Those looking to improve their health
- Those who would like to get more exercise, especially those who have been sedentary the past few years
- Those who would like to learn about eating a healthy diet
- Anyone at risk for developing osteoporosis
- Anyone looking to improve their strength and flexibility
- How to improve your health with diet and exercise
- How to manage and prevent osteoporosis
- How to improve strength and flexibility
Frequently Asked Questions