Robert E. Mikesell
Program Coordinator, Animal Sciences Major
Areas of Interest
- Odor Management
- 4-H Programs
- 2006-Present Senior Instructor, The Pennsylvania State University
Teach Animal Science 324 “Value Determination of Meat Animals” and a portion of Animal Science 300 “Integrated Animal Biology”
Implement large-scale livestock facility siting assessment service. Responsible 4-H livestock curriculum management
- 2001-2006. Total of $154,100 funded to PA Pork Producers Council in PDA Commodity Matching Grants.
Publications, Articles, and Manuscripts Published
- 1999-2007. Eight publications, articles and manuscripts published or in press.
Abstracts and Posters Presented
- 2001-2006. Eight abstracts and posters presented.
4-H Curriculum Materials Developed
- 1998-2006. Nine livestock curriculum pieces developed for use by Pennsylvania 4-H livestock club members.
Other Curriculum Materials Developed
- Mikesell, R. E. and M. M. Baker. 2005. Animal Science Biology and Technology, 2nd edition. Interstate Publishers, Danville, IL. (Now Prentice Hall).
- Mikesell, R. E. and M. M. Baker. 2000-2006. Large Animal Science Lesson Plans. The Ag Ed Network, a division of Stewart-Peterson, Inc. Available at http://www.agednet.com/. Over 100 lesson plans published to date.
- Mikesell. R. E. and M. M. Baker. 1997. Animal Science Biology and Technology Teacher’s Resource Guide. Interstate Publishers, Danville, IL. (Now Prentice Hall).
Environmental Extension Activities Initiated
- 2007. Developed Odor Siting Index in response to Act 38 ACRE legislation
- 1999-2007. Site Evaluation Service for new or expanded large-scale livestock facilities. Over 170 sites evaluated.
- 1999-2004. Northeast Coordinator and National Trainer for On-Farm Assessment and Environmental Review (OFAER) Program administered by Environmental Management Solutions, Inc. Funded by America’s Clean Water Foundation. More than 350 farms coordinated.
Ph.D., Animal Science, The Pennsylvania State University, 2002