Retail Farm Market School
Tremendous growth is occurring in the retail produce industry. Customers today are health-conscious and buying more produce than ever before. They want to shop at markets and farm stands where they can find high-quality fresh products and well-informed produce professionals.
In this asynchronous, self-paced course, you will learn about the many facets of being a retail farm market professional, including how to keep produce in peak condition for as long as possible, how to display it well, and thus how to build the profitability of the market.
Videos will teach you about best practices for food preparation and handling, merchandising and market signs, customer service, ordering, and receiving. You will be able to print handouts about produce science, crisping, trimming, signage, ordering, and receiving. Check your learning questions after each video will help you apply what you learn.
Additionally, you will have the option of taking a graded final course quiz. When you pass the quiz, you will receive a certificate of course completion.
- New farm market employees (roadside stands, farmers' market vendors)
- Experienced farm market employees
- People interested in becoming a farm market employee
- Farm market managers
- Produce personnel in grocery stores
- Produce science
- Product care, handling and environmental control practices
- Trimming and crisping
- Cleaning and sanitation practices
- Considerations for fresh-cut produce
- Merchandising strategies, including design, lighting, displays, and signage
- Effective customer service strategies
- Calculating market orders
- Receiving and storage techniques
Some courses also provide credits that can go towards professional certifications. None of the online courses offer credits that can go on a college transcript.
Please refer to the course description to learn if a specific course offers certificates and/or credits towards professional certification.
The definition of a passing grade varies from course to course. Once you register for an online course, please log in to learn about a specific course’s grading criteria.
Also, keep in mind that not all courses offer certificates. Please refer to the course description to learn whether or not a specific course offers a certificate.
Sarah Cornelisse, Jeffrey Hyde, Ph.D.
Maria L Graziani, MBA, Juliette Enfield