Huntingdon

The history of Huntingdon County 4-H Clubs cannot easily be found through the research of newspapers, books, or other historical writings. And so, this historical account was written through the memories of James Davis, Betty Grove, Sam Hayes Jr, and Harold Lockhoff.

4-H Clubs in Huntingdon County originally existed as agricultural boys and girls clubs throughout the early 1900's. During the early 1920's, 4-H Clubs, as we know them today, were formed around the county. Early clubs existed in the following small communities: Alexandria, Big Valley, Petersburg, Shade Gap, Stone Valley, and Warriors Mark. Popular projects carried by 4-H members throughout the earlier part of the twentieth century were Dairy, Baby Beef, Woodworking, and Sewing. One event that has been a tradition for Huntingdon County 4-Hers since the 1930's is 4-H camp. Camp began as an event exclusively for Huntingdon County members and was held at a local cabin. It quickly grew and eventually became a regional event with 4-H’ers from neighboring counties. Another popular event has been the 4-H exchange program. Huntingdon County has visited and hosted 4-H’ers from Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Montana, Texas and Wisconsin. In 1967 4-H enrollment in the county reached 1000 members in forty clubs that were lead by over 100 leaders. The traditions of Huntingdon County 4-H continue today through club work,community service, and personal growth.