Assistant Teaching Professor and 4-H Youth Poultry Coordinator
Have a question?
Search for Education by Phillip Clauer!View All Education from Phillip Clauer
Phillip is an Assistant Teaching Professor in the Animal Science Department at Penn State's University Park campus. He holds a bachelor's and master's degree in from University of Wisconsin-Madison. His focus is on providing leadership and support for 4-H youth poultry programs, projects, contests and events. He also assists with Small Specialty Poultry programs. Phillip teaches poultry courses, is an undergraduate adviser, adviser for the Poultry Science Club, Coach of the PSU Collegiate Poultry Judging team and Coordinates "for credit" internships for students in the Animal Science major.
Areas of Responsibility
- Advise and teach poultry for the AN SC Undergraduate Program
- 4-H Youth Poultry Programs
- Advise for Poultry Science Club
- Coach for Collegiate Poultry Judging
- Internship Coordinator for AN SC Major
- Embryology in the Classroom
- Small Specialty Avian Industries
- 2017 Assistant Teaching Professor, Department of Animal Science, The Pennsylvania State University
- 2006 to 2017: Senior Instructor, 4-H Youth and Specialty Poultry Programs, Department of Poultry Science, The Pennsylvania State University
- 2001 to 2006: Senior Extension Associate, 4-H Youth and Specialty Poultry Programs, Department of Poultry Science, The Pennsylvania State University
- 1985 to 2001: Extension Poultry Specialist, 4-H Youth/Small Flocks, Animal and Poultry Sciences Department, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
- 1983 to 1985: Program Assistant to Extension Poultry and Small Animal Specialist, Poultry Science Department, University of Wisconsin
- 4-H/youth Poultry program Leadership.
- Traditional rearing and raising poultry projects that provide youth learning opportunities in animal care and life skills. My responsibility is to provide program management, volunteer leader and youth training, and program resource development.
- Organize and conduct state and national 4-H poultry judging contests as well as state 4-H contests in Avian Bowl, Chicken-cue Presentation, and Turkey-cue Presentation.
- Help organize and conduct state F.F.A. Career Development Event.
- 4-H Embryology project. This is mostly a school-enrichment project that enrolls over 40,000 youth in Pennsylvania annually. My responsibility is to conduct leader training, manage, and coordinate program activities at the state level.
- Small and specialty flock program leadership.
- Aids in the small and specialty poultry program by providing technical assistance to avian operators other than commercial layer, broiler, or turkey producers. This group includes breeders and owners of domestic poultry as well as specialty avian flocks such as game birds, organic and pastured poultry, urban poultry and other small specialty flocks.
- Teach AN SC 421 "Poultry Evaluation and Selection"
- Teach AN SC 426 "Poultry Judging"
- Help teach AN SC 311 "Poultry Production and Management"
- Guest Lecture or assist in teaching other courses and labs as needed.
- Developed the Poultry Industry section for the new AN SC 100 "Intro to Animal Industries"
- Coordinate of AN SC 395 "for credit" internships for the Animal Sciences major
- Advise Undergraduate students in the AN SC Major
- Advise the Poultry Science Club
Immediate plans include:
- Support 4-H poultry programs, projects, and events.
- Provide training in the 4-H contests and events.
- Develop funding options to support the 4-H youth poultry programs.
- Increase the number of undergraduate students with poultry interest at University Park campus.
PA Extension Publications
- Raising Fowl in Urban Areas. Small-scale Poultry Production fact sheet, 2010
- Management Requirements for Laying Flocks. Small-scale Poultry Production fact sheet, 2010.
- PA 4-H Embryology Members Guide 1, AO910A, 2005.
- Preparing for the Poultry Barbecue Contests. Set of PDF publications, 2002
- "Cooking Basics" covers the barbecuing skills portion of the contest. 3 pages.
- "Presentation Basics" covers how to prepare and give a presentation for this contest. 3 pages.
- Helpful Guide for 4-H Leaders in Poultry Project. A PDF publication, 2002
- Standards for Broiler, Roaster, and Young Turkey Pens. A PDF publication,
PA Extension On-line articles/ publications
Web based fact sheets completed and placed on-line in new Atlas pages.
- “Management Requirements for Meat Bird Flocks”, 2017
- “Brooding of Domestic Fowl”, 2017
- “Poultry Cannibalism: Prevention and Treatment”, 2017
- “Leg and Foot Disorders in Domestic Fowl”, 2017
- “Prevention of Egg Eating", 2016
- “Proper Handling of Eggs: From Hen to Consumption”, 2016
- "Small Scale Poultry Housing”, 2016
- Brochure for Poultry minor, Poultry and Avian Science Minor at Penn State, 2005, Revised 2009.
National Extension Publications
- National 4-H Poultry Judging Manual. Revisions 1991, 1999, 2002.
- Embryology in the Classroom. National 4HCCS embryology curriculum. 2001.
- Experiments in Poultry Science. Advanced Helper's Guide. 2001.
- Hatching Classroom Projects. Beginner Helper's Guide. 2001.
- Small-Scale Agriculture Alternative: Poultry. For the USDA Office of Small-Scale Agriculture. 1995.
Other Extension Publications
- Raising Waterfowl. Wisconsin A3311 manual on raising small-scale waterfowl. Prepared with John Skinner. 1985. Revised 2003.
- Agricultural Alternatives: Bobwhite Quail Production. 2002.
- Beginning of Life School Enrichment Curriculum, VA Tech Publication, 2000.
- Beginning of Life: A Leader's Manual for Avian Embryology. This manual has also been adapted for use by state programs in PA and MD. 1990, last revised in 1998.
- Penn State College of Agricultural Sciences "Excellence in Academic Advising Award," 2010
- Ag Student Council "Outstanding Club Adviser of the Year," 2006
- Poultry Science Association "Student Recruiting Award," 2005
- Agricultural Communications In Education "Outstanding Professional Skill Award," 2001 while at VA Tech
- AN SC Steering Committee, 2003-present, Chair 2006-2007
- New Student Tour Planning Committee, 2002-2016
- AN SC Scholarship Committee, 2001-present
- Student Activities Funding Committee, 2007-2013, 2017-present
- Penn State College of Agricultural Sciences Scholarship Selection Committee, 2009-2012
- Adviser to Ag Student Council, 2004-2006
- National 4-H Poultry and Egg Conference Committee, 1986-present
- Chair of National 4-H Poultry Judging Contest, 1990-2013
- Poultry Science Association Recruiting Committee, 2002-2006, Chair 2004