Pasteurizer Operators Workshop
When: October 23, 2018 8:00 AM to October 25, 2018 5:00 PM
Where: Erickson Food Science Building
Corner of Curtin and Bigler Roads
University Park, Pennsylvania 16802
The course begins with a focus on the composition and microbiology of milk to set the stage for the conditions needed for pasteurization and cleaning. The course focuses on the components of the HTST pasteurization system, including instrument control systems, auxiliary equipment such as homogenizers and separators, and flow control technologies. Operation of the system is addressed from start-up through clean-up and sanitation. Requirements for the Pennsylvania Temporary Industry Seal Program are addressed. Vat pasteurization and UHT processing are also discussed.
Hands-on laboratory exercises in the pilot plant include a demonstration by the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture of the quarterly regulatory tests conducted on the HTST system of the Penn State Berkey Creamery and an in depth view of charts and flow control devices.
The course emphasizes interactive learning through the integration of the classroom discussions and hands-on exercises in the pilot plant and Berkey Creamery. Breaks and lunches encourage further discussion with the Penn State, regulatory and industry instructors.
- Food safety professionals that work in the dairy industry
- Pasteurizer and backup operators
- Plant managers and personnel
- Quality assurance managers
- Regulatory personnel
- Equipment manufacturers and suppliers
- Overview of milk composition and microbiology to set the stages needed for pasteurization and cleaning and sanitizing
- Components of the HTST pasteurization system, including instrument control systems, auxiliary equipment such as homogenizers and separators, and flow control technologies
- Operation of the system, from startup to cleanup
- The regulations for the Temporary Industry Seam Program
- Problem solving and trouble-shooting techniques
- How to detect leaks in pasteurizer plates
Glenn Mills, PA
University Park, PA
Martin Bucknavage, Luke LaBorde, Ph.D.
Luke LaBorde, Ph.D.