Orchard Management: Site Planning and Preparation
In this course you'll discover what deciduous fruit trees need to survive and thrive. You'll learn about factors like climate, landscape, and soil, which affect choosing an appropriate site for a successful orchard.
This course also covers how to prepare that site for planting, and how to think ahead about potential climate change. You'll download a checklist of orchard planning and preparation tasks to organize your planning two years prior, one year prior, and the year of planting.
This is the first course in our Orchard Management series. You can purchase the second course Cultivars, Rootstocks, and Training Systems and this course for a bundle price of $189 (a savings of $19), which will be applied in your shopping cart.
- Beginning tree fruit growers
You will learn how to:
- identify the moisture, heat, and climate requirements for growing tree fruit
- determine the soil characteristics of a site that will allow fruit trees to thrive
- identify the physical characteristics of a desirable orchard site
- recognize the benefits of a site's slope and aspect
- evaluate the species of tree fruit that are best for a particular site
- develop an orchard map using your knowledge of sound horticultural principles
- determine what needs to be done to prepare your site before planting
Frequently Asked Questions
Some courses also provide credits that can go towards professional certifications. None of the online courses offer credits that can go on a college transcript.
Please refer to the course description to learn if a specific course offers certificates and/or credits towards professional certification.
The definition of a passing grade varies from course to course. Once you register for an online course, please log in to learn about a specific course’s grading criteria.
Also, keep in mind that not all courses offer certificates. Please refer to the course description to learn whether or not a specific course offers a certificate.
Multiple Options Available