Mediterranean Cuisine Comes to You
When: Fri., Oct. 12, 19, and 26, 2018
(5:00 PM - 7:00 PM)
Where: Adams County Agricultural and Natural Resources Center
670 Old Harrisburg Rd., Suite 204
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania 17325
registration deadline: October 1, 2018
Have you been eager to eat the Mediterranean way, but are not sure where to start? This workshop will involve you in designing and putting the Mediterranean lifestyle into practice in your own life.
You will learn great tasting ways to do this, from food focus segments highlighting Mediterranean food selections to preparing simple, delicious recipes, to learning how you can fuel your life for better health! You will apply the Mediterranean food and health principles to design your own healthy lifestyle, based on Pennsylvania foods.
Classes are offered weekly for four weeks. Each class offers:
- Food demonstrations or hands-on food preparation with recipes provided
- Class Lesson on the Mediterranean Lifestyle
- Useful cooking tips
- Tasting different types of Mediterranean foods, i.e. olive oil, cheeses, vegetables and seasonings
- Discussions among class participants to share ideas
- Meet and hear from local food growers and producers covering topics such as new tasty greens and vegetable preparations, health research, and local cheeses
- Winery tour and tasting as part of last class
Anyone interested in eating well!
- How to cook and prepare food that fits the Mediterranean lifestyle
- How different Mediterranean foods taste (olive oil, cheeses, vegetables and seasonings)
- Useful cooking tips
- The latest information from local food growers and producers about new tasty green and vegetable preparations, health research, and local cheeses
05:00 pm Introduction to the Lifestyle, History & Culture of the Mediterranean Region Food Focus: Healthy fats & olive oil tasting.
05:00 pm How the Mediterranean Diet Pattern Affects Chronic Disease Food Focus: Yogurt, cheese, whole grains of the region.
05:00 pm Putting the Lifestyle to Work! / Exploring Healthy Proteins & Entrees Food Focus: Cultivated greens and other vegetables. Get tips from a local producer.
Food Focus: Spice & Flavoring Primer, Wine Basics.
Claudia Mincemoyer, Ph.D.