Livestock Grazing Home Study Course 2017
Beginning producers and seasoned producers interested in running a profitable livestock operation, that focuses on feeding animals with pasture resources, are invited to attend.
Who Should Attend?
This course is best suited for residents of the northeast, mid-Atlantic, and midwest regions. If you feel as though the course content is appropriate and your region is not listed, please contact the event leaders directly.
Why Home Study?
- You can study and learn about livestock production practices in your own home on your own time schedule.
- You receive one-on-one assistance from a course instructor.
- The course worksheets are designed to help you analyze your own individual operation. (If you don’t yet own livestock, simply answer the worksheet questions based on what you plan to do.)
- You will gain a better understanding of the basics of pasture production.
What is the Cost?
Courses mailed through the postal service cost $85. Courses taken through internet/email cost $50. Internet/email participants may also purchase a CD of materials for an additional $25.
- Getting Started with Pastures
- Plants in the Pasture
- Pasture Management
- Pasture Facilities
- Grazing Management
- Grazing Economics
How Does The Course Work?
- Choose which specie(s) you graze or plan to graze on your farm (Beef, Sheep, Meat Goat or Other).
- Lesson materials will be mailed or emailed on October 12. Postal participants receive a CD of materials.
- Read lesson materials weekly for six weeks.
- Read the lesson materials, then complete the lesson worksheet.
- Send the worksheet and any questions to the course instructor.
- The course instructor makes comments and suggestions and returns worksheet to the participant.
J. Craig Williams