Recently added item(s)
You have no items in your shopping cart.
Personalize your experience with Penn State Extension. Subscribe today!
Download PDF Save For Later Print
This can create a serious risk to children's health and well-being. Children can be exposed to these harmful chemicals by inhalation, ingestion, and through skin contact. Inhaled vapors and dust from craft materials may damage the still-developing lungs of children. Also, children are more likely to ingest the chemicals in the materials because they often put their hands and art tools in their mouths. And on many occasions, art and craft time can be messy. Paints, markers, inks, and other materials can end up on children allowing chemicals to be absorbed into the body through the skin. What can you do to make sure art and craft time is safe for children in your care? Here are some simple tips:
For more information on the safety of art and craft materials check out the attached factsheet from the Children's Environmental Health Network's Eco-Healthy Child Care Program. Also visit our website for more information about integrated pest management (IPM) and steps you can take to prevent pests and keep your home, school, or child care healthy and safe. You can now follow us on Facebook and Twitter and subscribe to our blog from our homepage.
Thank you for your submission!