Home Food Preservation: Introduction to Drying
In recent years, there has been increasing interest in home food preservation. Drying is one method of home food preservation that allows you to enjoy seasonal foods all year long. While this method of home food preservation has existed for centuries, we have learned a lot about the science behind this practice in recent years. Home Food Preservation: Introduction to Drying will explain the scientific reasoning behind today's recommended methods for drying products while dispelling food preservation myths and unsafe practices of the past.
This workshop will review the following:
- The basic principles behind drying fruits, vegetables, herbs and meat to assure a safe product.
- Various methods of drying including oven drying, using a dehydrator, microwave drying, and air drying.
- Pretreatment steps such as blanching and anti-darkening soaking solutions to ensure a quality product.
- Food safety considerations when processing jerky.
- What to look for when buying a dehydrator.
- Ideas for using dehydrated foods.
Frequently Asked Questions
Richard Andrew Kralj, M Ed., RDN, LDN