Pest Control Operator (PCO) Costs
What does the contract call for?
- Monthly visits/treatment, on call, etc. What is the cost?
- What are the pest issues? (which may determine type of visit)
- Are some pests not covered (termites or outside pest)? Extra cost?
- Is there an extra charge for callbacks?
- Is communication with Principal/custodian/food service required on a regular basis?
- Is there any training provided by PCO for school staff?
- Should be able to extract a total dollar figure paid to a company in one year ("the before picture").
What are the pesticides being applied, what is the pest, what is the amount, what is the location? Extract data from PCO tickets. Two or three years worth?
What do you want the PCO to do for you? Write it in the specifications.
How much time do these groups spend on pest related activities?
- Food Service
Determine a cost for the time spent. (Hourly rate X the number of hours)
How does the work order system function? Who initiates the request and how does it flow? Is pest management even part of the formal work order system?
Who initiates a call to the PCO? What about callbacks? Principal or secretary? Does the maintenance department have to make the call? Can the teacher call?
Who buys pest control products and how does that purchasing system work? What is the cost per year of school purchased products? This can include maintenance materials also, i.e. door sweeps, screens, etc.
Is there a pesticide application notification system in place? How does it work and what is the cost both in time and materials?
Is site-based management an issue in the district?
What are the costs for inspection, application, reporting, training, materials & supplies.
Are the current treatment practices taking care of the problem/complaint?
Is the source of the problem addressed?