Image Credit: naturalpastels on pixabay.com is in the public domain
- Tsp - teaspoon
- Tbsp - tablespoon
- Fl oz -fluid ounce
- Pt - pint
- Qt - Quart
- ml - milliliter
- cc - cubic centimeter
- cm - centimeter
Here are some food substitutions to remember when you are in the middle of a recipe and don’t have an ingredient.
- Baking Powder (1 tsp) - 5/8 tsp cream of tartar and 1/4 tsp baking soda
- Buttermilk (1 cup) - 1 tbsp. lemon juice or vinegar and milk to make 1 cup. Stir and let stand about 5 minutes; or use 1 cup yogurt.
- Cornstarch (1 Tbsp) - 2 Tbsp flour.
- Cream (1 cup) - 1/3 cup butter or margarine and 3/4 cup of milk or 1 cup evaporated skim milk.
- Lemon juice (1 tsp) - 1/2 tsp vinegar
- Milk, skim (1 cup) - 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk and enough water to make 1 cup, stir well.
- Sugar (1 cup) - 1 cup honey (reduce liquid in recipe by 3 tbsp); or 1 cup molasses (reduce liquid in recipe by 4 tbsp.)
- Tomato sauce (2 cups) - 3/4 cup tomato paste and 1 cup water.
Source: Healthy and Homemade Calendar, 2007, Iowa State University Extension and Outreach