Home Food Preservation: Wild Game
In recent years, there has been increasing interest in home food preservation. Canning, freezing, and drying are preservation methods that allow you to enjoy the fruits of your hunt all year long. While these methods of home food preservation have existed for centuries, we have learned a lot about the science behind these practices in recent years. Home Food Preservation: Wild Game will explain the scientific reasoning behind today's recommended methods for preserving wild game while dispelling food preservation myths and unsafe practices of the past.
This workshop will review the following:
- The basics of using a pressure canner, based on current USDA canning guidelines, to can low acid foods such as meat.
- How a pressure canner works, and canning safety.
- Curing and smoking game meat safely.
- Best practices to ensure top quality frozen meat.
- Drying meat safely and troubleshooting problems when making jerky.