Farmers Market Food Safety
When: Tue., Apr. 23, 2019 (5:00 PM - 9:00 PM)
Where: Penn State Extension Beaver County
1000 3rd St., Suite 3
Beaver, Pennsylvania 15009
registration deadline: April 19, 2019
Selling food at farmers markets is popular and profitable and ensuring the safety of foods at markets is an important responsibility of producers and/or vendors. Join us for Farmers Market Food Safety, an educational workshop about bringing safe food products to the market.
This four-hour course addresses the unique challenges faced by those producing and/or selling food at farmers markets.
Food safety begins at product harvest and continues through processing, preparation, transportation, and point of sale. In this course, you will learn about controlling food safety risks from "farm to fork."
- Equipping food-safe facilities
- Sourcing and purchasing ingredients
- Product handling and preparation
- Sales and service at the farmers market
- Record keeping
You will learn how to:
- Evaluate potential risks related to food safety at farmers markets from harvest through sale of the food product
- Equip and operate food safe facilities
- Source and purchase ingredients
- Handle and prepare food properly
- Identify on-site food safety procedures
- Know what is needed for proper record keeping and food/ingredient traceability
- Recognize potential liability issues
Who Should Attend?
- Existing farmers markets vendors
- Those interested in becoming a vendor
Food Safety Manuals
Each participant will receive a Farmers Market Food Safety Manual.
Frequently Asked Questions
Multiple Options Available