Exploring the Small Farm Dream
Farmer's market vendors, farm stands, and u-pick fruit and vegetable farms are all agricultural businesses that started somewhere. Are you thinking about starting a farm business, but not sure how to get started?
The Exploring the Small Farm Dream course is designed to help you decide whether starting a farm business is right for you. This nine-hour (three evening sessions) course includes exploratory discussion, research tools, and self-assessment activities. By the end of the class you will decide on an action plan that works best for you and will have the tools and contacts to help you get started.
- Session I: Self-Assessment and Researching the Farming Landscape
- Session II: Assessing Resource and Risk
- Session III: Decision-Making and Next Steps
- Anyone interested in starting a small farm business
- Hobby and lifestyle farmers that are considering developing their farm into a business
- Recently retired individuals or individuals who will retire soon who think they may want to start a small farm business
- Immigrants with agricultural experience who wish to start farming in the US
- Recent high school or college graduates who are considering a career in agriculture
- Individuals who are inheriting or taking over a farm from a family member
- Learn how new and beginning farmers can access agricultural resources
- Learn about opportunities to connect with local farm business owners, agricultural professionals, and others interested in new farm enterprises
- Learn how to manage a small business
- Learn how to assess and manage risks