Ben McGraw, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Turfgrass Science
Entomology; Turfgrass Science, Biology and ecology of turfgrass insects; insect behavior; spatial distribution of populations; biological control; entomopathogenic nematodes, insecticide resistance development and management
My research program focuses on understanding the biology and ecology of turfgrass insect populations to improve current management practices and develop novel, more sustainable management and monitoring programs. Given the heavy reliance on chemical controls in many managed turfgrass systems, little is known about the ecology of many soil arthropod pests and communities. I have used the annual bluegrass weevil (Listronotus maculicollis Kirby), a severe and widespread pest of intensely managed turfgrass, as a model to explore many questions that I have regarding insect ecology.
- State University of New York (SUNY) - Delhi, Delhi, NY - Associate professor (2011-14)
- State University of New York (SUNY) - Delhi, Delhi, NY - Assistant professor (2009-11)
- Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ- Post- doctoral researcher (2009)
- AgraQuest Inc., Davis, CA- Associate Biologist-Entomology (2001 – 02)
- Dow AgroSciences, Indianapolis, IN- Associate Biologist- Entomology -Biotechnology Division, (2000 – 2001)
- Mycogen Corporation/ Dow AgroSciences, San Diego, CA, Assistant Biologist-Entomology, (1998 – 2000)
Journal Articles (Refereed):
- Czyzewski, B.D. and B.A. McGraw. 2017. Mowing height influences Listronotus maculicollis (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) oviposition behavior and mechanical removal from golf course putting greens, but not larval development. Journal of Economic Entomology. 110: 2165 – 2171. doi: 10.1093/jee/tox192
- Larson, J.L., Dale, A., Held, D., McGraw, B., Richmond, D.S., Wickings, K, Williamson, R.C. 2017. Optimizing pest management practices to conserve pollinators in turf landscapes: current practices and future research needs. Journal of Integrated Pest Management. 8 (1). doi: 10.1093/jipm/pmx012
- Schlossberg, M.J., B.A. McGraw, K.A. Hivner, and D.T. Pruyne. Flux-chamber measurement of NH3 volatilization from putting greens foliarly-fertilized by urea. 2017. CLEAN- Soil, Air, Water. 45 (9). doi: 10.1002/clen.201700085
- McGraw, B.A. and M.J. Schlossberg. 2017. Fine-scale spatial analysis of soil moisture and entomopathogenic nematode distribution following release in wetting agent-treated turf. Applied Soil Ecology. 114: 52-61. doi:10.1016/j.apsoil.2017.02.016.
- McGraw, B.A. and A.M. Koppenhöfer. 2017. A survey of regional trends in annual bluegrass weevil (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) management on golf courses in eastern North America. Journal of Integrated Pest Management. 8 (1): 2 – 11. doi: 10.1093/jipm/pmw014.
- McGraw, B.A. and A.M. Koppenhöfer. 2015. Spatial analyses of Listronotus maculicollis immature stages demonstrate strong associations with conspecifics and turfgrass damage, but not optimal hosts on golf course fairways. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata. 157: 307–316.
- Van Dyke, A., R.A. Ramirez, and B. A. McGraw. 2015. First report of the invasive crane fly, Tipula oleracea, damaging turfgrass in Utah. Crop, Forage and Turfgrass Management. 1 (1): DOI: 10.2134/cftm2015.0124.
- McGraw, B.A., C. Rodriguez-Saona, R. Holdcraft, Z. Szendrei, and A.M. Koppenhöfer. 2011. Behavioral and electrophysiological responses of Listronotus maculicollis (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) to volatiles released from intact and mechanically damaged turfgrass. Environmental Entomology 40 (2): 412-419.
- McGraw, B.A. and A.M. Koppenhöfer. 2010. Spatial distribution of colonizing Listronotus maculicollis populations: implications for targeted management and host preference. Journal of Applied Entomology. 134: 275-284.
- McGraw, B.A., P.J Vittum, R.S. Cowles, and A.M. Koppenhöfer. 2010. Field evaluation of entomopathogenic nematodes for the biological control of the annual bluegrass weevil, Listronotus maculicollis (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) in golf course turfgrass. Biocontrol Science and Technology. 20 (2): 149-163.
- McGraw, B.A. and A.M. Koppenhöfer. 2009. Development of binomial sequential sampling plans for forecasting Listronotus maculicollis (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) larvae based on the relationship to adult counts and turfgrass damage. Journal of Economic Entomology 102 (3): 1325-1335.
- McGraw, B.A. and A.M. Koppenhöfer. 2009. Population dynamics and interactions between endemic entomopathogenic nematodes and annual bluegrass weevil populations in golf course turfgrass. Applied Soil Ecology 41: 77-89.
- McGraw, B.A. and A.M. Koppenhöfer. 2008. Evaluation of two endemic and five commercial entomopathogenic nematode species (Rhabditida: Heterorhabditidae and Steinernematidae) against annual bluegrass weevil (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) larvae and adults. Biological Control 46: 467-475.
ENT 317 (residential and through World Campus)
TURF 235 (World Campus)