Agronomy Scout School
When: Sat., Mar. 16, 2019 (7:30 AM - 5:30 PM)
Where: Ag Science and Industries Building
116 Agricultural Science and Industries
University Park, Pennsylvania 16802
registration deadline: March 11, 2019
The Agronomy Scout School is designed for entry level scouts (i.e. non CCA's with limited or no crop scouting experience, or as a refresher) who will be working for crop consultants, industry agronomists, or ag service providers throughout Pennsylvania or neighboring states.
This school will provide entry level crop scouts with an overview of the fundamentals necessary for scouting in corn, soybeans, forages, and small grains.
Some sessions will be hands-on. Each participant receives an Agronomy Scout handbook and a magnifying hand lens.
- Introduction to crop scouting
- Soil fertility basics and nutrient deficiencies
- Alfalfa and grass growth and development
- Corn, soybean, and small grain growth and development
- Insect ID
- Disease ID
- Weed ID
- Non-pest crop response symptoms
- Sampling techniques and reporting
- Stand and population assessments and estimating yield
Registration is limited, register today! Pre-registration is required, no walk-ins.
- Entry level agronomy scouts (i.e., non-CCAs with limited or no crop scouting experience)
- Agronomy scouts who will be working for crop consultants, industry agronomists, or agricultural service providers throughout Pennsylvania or neighboring states
- Agronomy scouts that need a refresher
You will learn the fundamentals necessary for scouting in corn, soybeans, alfalfa, and small grains.
07:30 am Registration in ASI Building Lobby
08:00 am Introduction to Crop Scouting
08:30 am Soybean and Forages
08:30 am Soil Basics
08:30 am Insects
12:15 pm Lunch (provided)
01:00 pm Diseases
01:00 pm Weeds
01:00 pm Corn and Small Grains
04:45 pm Non-Pest Crop Response Symptoms / Overall Q&A Session
05:30 pm Wrap-Up / Adjourn
Frequently Asked Questions