Agronomy Scout School
When: Sat., Apr. 7, 2018 (7:30 AM - 5:30 PM)
Where: Ag Science & Industries Building
University Park, Pennsylvania 16802
registration deadline: April 2, 2018
The Agronomy Scout School is designed for entry level scouts (i.e. non CCA's with limited or no crop scouting experience, or as a refresher) who will be working for crop consultants, industry agronomists, or ag service providers throughout Pennsylvania or neighboring states.
This school will provide entry level crop scouts with an overview of the fundamentals necessary for scouting in corn, soybeans, forages, and small grains.
Some sessions will be hands-on. Each participant receives an Agronomy Scout handbook and a magnifying hand lens.
- Introduction to crop scouting
- Soil fertility basics and nutrient deficiencies
- Alfalfa and grass growth and development
- Corn, soybean, and small grain growth and development
- Insect ID
- Disease ID
- Weed ID
- Non-pest crop response symptoms
- Sampling techniques and reporting
- Stand and population assessments and estimating yield
For hotel information, visit http://www.visitpennstate.org/.
Registration is limited to 50 participants, register today! Pre-registration is required, no walk-ins.
- Entry level agronomy scouts (i.e., non-CCAs with limited or no crop scouting experience)
- Agronomy scouts who will be working for crop consultants, industry agronomists, or agricultural service providers throughout Pennsylvania or neighboring states
- Agronomy scouts that need a refresher
You will learn the fundamentals necessary for scouting in corn, soybeans, alfalfa, and small grains.
07:30 am Registration (ASI lobby)
08:00 am Morning Sessions
08:30 am Insect Identification
08:30 am Introduction to Crop Scouting
08:30 am Soil Fertility Basics
08:30 am Soybean & Forage Growth/Development
12:15 pm Lunch (provided)
01:00 pm Weed Identification
01:00 pm Corn & Small Grain Growth / Development
01:00 pm Afternoon Sessions
01:00 pm Disease Identification
04:45 pm Non-pest Crop Response Symptoms / General
04:45 pm Q&A Session
05:30 pm Wrap-up & Adjourn
J. Craig Williams