Horticulture Research Farm, Rock Springs, PA
Randomized Complete Block with 3 replications.
12 plants spaced 2' in-row and 3' between rows.
June 8, 2012.
100 lbs./A of N-P-K. Additional nitrogen was applied through the drip irrigation - 3 applications of 5 gals/ application of Total Feed 4 (4-0-1). Foliar application of BioForge @ 1.0 pt/A and More Power @ 1.0 pt/A was made on June 14, 2012. Also, a foliar application of Stimulate @ 1.0 pt/A and Ca5X @ 1.0 pt/A was made on June 29, 2012. Root Feed II @ 1.0 pt/A was injected through the drip tape on June 20 and 27, 2012.
August 16 through September 30, 2012.
'Arcadia' had leafs growing through the head and generally was not domed shape. It did produce side shoots. 'Imperial' produced large, dome sized heads that were 6-8" in diameter. 'Preakness' had flat heads with leaves growing through the heads - it does not tolerate heat when forming heads. Both 'Monaco' and 'Preakness' produced the heaviest heads of broccoli, and 'Destiny' and 'Green Magic' also produced the highest number of side shoots. Based on size and shape of head, the two top varieties in this trial were 'Emerald Pride' and 'Imperial'. 'Emerald Pride' will produce side shoots, 'Imperial' does not produce side shoots.
Table 1. Marketable yield of 13 broccoli varieties grown during the summer of 2012 at the Horticulture Research Farm, Rock Springs, PA.
|Variety||No. heads||Head wt.||Lbs/A Lbs.||Avg head wt.-oz||No. side shoots|
- 'Destiny' - Leaves growing through flat head, non-uniform, ugly.
- 'Del Rico' - Leaves growing through head, flat head.
- 'Bay Meadow' - Leaves growing through head.
- 'Green Magic' - Few leaves growing through head.
- 'Preakness' - Head flat, leaves through head and yellow beads.
- 'Monte Carlo' - Leaves growing through flat head with large stem and difficult to harvest.
- 'Emerald Pride' - Nice domed heads.
- 'Diplomat' - Flatten shaped head.
- 'Del Rico' - Uneven head shape.
- 'Gypsy' - Head a little flat.