Community Planning & Environmental Design
- Develop and test an IG community visioning model (“Futures Festival”).
- Develop and test participatory approaches to community planning and development.
- Help establish a conceptual framework and methods for designing environments aimed at facilitating IG exchange.
- Broaden program platform (of IG community planning activities) and extend outreach to CD community
- Conduct training sessions for community development professionals
Thang, L.L. and Kaplan, M. (In Press). Intergenerational pathways for building relational spaces and places. In G.D. Rowles, and M. Bernard (Eds.). Environmental gerontology: Making meaningful places in old age. NYC: Spring Publishing Company.
Jarrott, S., Kaplan, M., and Steinig, S. (2011). Shared sites: Avenues for sharing space, place and life experience across generations. Journal of Intergenerational Relationships, 9(3), 343-348.
Larkin, E., Kaplan, M., and Rushton, S. (2010). Designing brain healthy environments for intergenerational programs. Journal of Intergenerational Relationships, 8 (2), 161-176.
Kaplan, M. (2007). Evaluating intergenerational programs that aim to improve the community. In M. Sánchez Martínez (Ed.) The evaluation of intergenerational programs (pp. 102-118). [In English and Spanish]. Madrid, Spain: Instituto de Mayores y Servicios Sociales (IMSERSO).
Kaplan, M., Haider, J., Cohen, U., & Turner, D. (2007). Environmental design perspectives on intergenerational programs and practices: An emergent conceptual framework. Journal of Intergenerational Relationships, 5(2), 81-110.
Kaplan, M., Higdon, F., Crago, N., & Robbins, L. (2004). Futures Festival: An intergenerational strategy for promoting community participation. Journal of Intergenerational Relationships, 2 (3/4), 119-146.