Grandparents Support Group and Clothing/Food Bank
A community based Kinship foster care agency provides Grandparent support groups for relatives who provide formal and informal kinship care. A clothing and food bank are additional a resources provided for formal and informal kinship caregivers.
- A Second Chance, Inc.,
- Contact Person
- Phone Number
- Fax Number
- 8350 Frankstown Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15221
- Geographical area(s) in which services are provided
- Allegheny County
- Approximate Number Of Families Serviced
- over 10, 000 since 1994
- Social/Emotional Support
- Caregiver Support Groups
- Child Care
- Children's Therapeutic Groups
- Basic Living Resources
- Financial Assistance
- Housing resources/advice/advocacy
- Health resources/advice/advocacy
- For the Child (in schools, preschools, or other community setting)
- For the Adult (formal or informal training in childcare; e.g. certificate program or continuing education course)
- Frequency Of Meetings
- 1 x per month
- Average Number of Participants
- Level of Formality
- Not Particularly Formal/Informal
- What assistance might your group/program need to better obtain your objective(s) (e.g., identifying potential speakers, gathering information, obtaining publications, etc.)?
- Speakers in the areas of special needs of children in kinship foster care. Legal and educational advocacy for grandparent's rights.
- A Second Chance,Inc. is a non profit agency contracted by Allegheny County Office of Children, Youth and Families to provide formal kinship care services to relatives with children in their homes. The agency works with relatives to license the caregivers under Department of Public Welfare regulations to ensure compliance and safety homes for youth in formal foster care with relatives. The agency provides a kinship care monthly stipend and a plethora of other supportive services to relative who are referred by Allegheny County. In addition to the above, community based services such as support groups, clothing/food banks and a computer lab are available for informal kinship caregivers in the Allegheny County area.