Doing it Together
Posted: June 14, 2004
Activities to do Together:
- Look for swimming classes for your grandchildren who need to learn.
- When safe to plant outside, plant your annuals in the yard and get some physical activity while you garden together.
- Make sure to walk a minimum of 30 minutes 3 or more times a week.
- Take a walk at the nearest county or state park and count how many different varieties of flowers you see.
- May 19 is National Bike to Work Day. Put on that bike helmet and ride.
- Pack a picnic lunch for Memorial Day and walk or bike to the closet park. Make sure to set up the yard games for everyone to play during the picnic.
- Challenge your grandchild to a week of walking. Purchase pedometers for both of you, and count your steps each day for a week. Continue using the pedometer throughout the year. Strive for a 20% increase in your step totals, aiming for 10,000 steps a day.
- Make GORP or Walking Salad and take along with water bottles on your physical activity trips.
(Good ‘Ol Raisins and Peanuts)
Place ingredients into zip-lock sandwich bag:
1 cup popcorn
½ cup ready-to-eat cereal (oat rings, etc.)
½ cup presweetened cereal (flavored loops, etc.)
1 T. raisins
1 T. unsalted peanuts
1 T. coated chocolate candies
A quick, easy, and portable snack for walking and other trips. You can add your own favorite ingredients; such as pretzel sticks, small crackers, dried fruits,
2 T. peanut butter
Cut the top of the apple. Core the apple, leaving the bottom skin over the hole. Stir raisins into peanut butter and stuff into the center of the apple and put the