Rock Solid: Social/Emotional Learning Resources
Below are resources from Penn State Better Kid Care to support children’s capacity to develop socially and emotionally. Look around CYTTAP & Better Kid Care websites for comprehensive resources in caring for children. And stay in touch - Subscribe to our monthly newsletter and Like us on Facebook!
On Demand Distance Education Lessons available at http://www.betterkidcare.psu.edu/odDE.html
*To access lessons, log into On Demand and search lesson title by related knowledge area.
- All By Myself: Self Help Skills in Childcare 1 hr.
- Baby Play 1 hr.
- Creating the Bond – Attachment 1 hr.
- Giving Children Appropriate Choices 1hr.
- Giving Your Best: Making Secure Attachments 2 hr.
- Re-Thinking Praise 1 hr.
- Through the Eyes of a Five Year Old 1 hr.
- Through The Eyes of a Four Year Old 1 hr.
- Through the Eyes of a Three Year Old 1 hr.
- Through the Eyes of a Toddler Old 1 hr.
- Through The Eyes of an Infant 1 hr.
- Understand & Support Children’s Language and Social/Emotional Development 2 hr.
- Understand and Help Stressed Children 1 hr.
- Understanding Temperament 1 hr.
*View listing of Distance Education opportunities here http://www.betterkidcare.psu.edu/page02a.html
*To access article, click directly on the article link or search articles by knowledge area or title at http://www.betterkidcare.psu.edu/page02j.html
- Cultural Understanding: Competent, Responsive, and Aware
- Becoming Resilient: Ideas to Build On
- When Children Experience Loss
- Caregiver Sensitivity: The capacity to recognize and respond to children’s needs
- Stress: Seeing with Optimism
- Emotional Wellness:Understanding Its Importance (13-3)
- Helping Children with Sad Times (2-3)
- I'm So Mad! (Helping children deal with anger) (3-10))
- Mommy, Don't Go (1-9)
- Nurturing Mealtimes (8-2)
- Tips on Sharing (1-3)
- Temperament – What is it? (14-6)
- Creating a Sense of Place: Considering Routine, Ritual, and Belonging(11-10)
- Relationships: The Essential Ingredient in Caring for Children and How You Can Support It! (12-03)
- Infant Environment: Let's Take a Closer Look (8-2)
- Creating a Peaceful Environment for Young Children (8-1)
- Entering and Sustaining Play (8-4)
- Biting (1-1)
- Discipline Tips for Infants and Toddlers (5-11)
- Change "No" to "Yes" (6-4)
- Hold My Hand: Gentle Guiding for the Misguided (9-4)
- I'm Telling (Working with a tattle-tale) (3-12)
- Let's Work it Out (Helping children solve problems) (3-8)
- The Problem with Time-Out (5-4)
- Stop Behavior Problems Before They Happen (2-2)
- Stop the Whining (4-1)
- Teaching Children to Cooperate (5-9)
- Teasing (6-1)
- Temper Tantrums (1-7)
- The Dance of Kindness: Promoting Goodwill in Your Program (7-8)
- When Children Use "Bad Words" (4-8)
- Working with a Bully (5-6)
- Working with Siblings: Will They Ever Get Along? (6-6)
- Stress Busters (6-8)
- Understanding Stress (13-6)
- Boys in Dresses? (6-2)
- Caring for Kids - AND Your Kids Too! (2-9)
- Exploring Developmentally Appropriate Practice (14-1)
- Applying Developmentally Appropriate Practice (14-2)
Vodcasts & Discussion Starters
To access Vodcast, click on title or search for vodcast titles on the CYTTAP media page http://extension.psu.edu/cyttap/media. Before watching the Vodcast, download the corresponding "Discussion Starter"(pdf) to use as a guide along with the Vodcast.
Parents Count – Practical Tips for Parents
*To access Parents Count articles, click article directly or search by title or content at http://www.betterkidcare.psu.edu/page10a.html
- Smoothing Your Day http://www.betterkidcare.psu.edu/ParentsCount/PC200815May.pdf
- Success in School and Life http://www.betterkidcare.psu.edu/ParentsCount/PC200711Oct.pdf
- Helping Your Child Learn Self Control http://www.betterkidcare.psu.edu/ParentsCount/PC01December2005.pdf
- Building a Sense of Community http://www.betterkidcare.psu.edu/ParentsCount/pc02Dec2004.pdf
- Why Do Children Misbehave http://www.betterkidcare.psu.edu/ParentsCount/pc21Oct2004.pdf
- When You Get Angry http://www.betterkidcare.psu.edu/ParentsCount/pc27May2004.pdf
- Parenting Stress http://www.betterkidcare.psu.edu/ParentsCount/ParentsCount0300.pdf
- Biting and Sharing http://www.betterkidcare.psu.edu/ParentsCount/ParentsCount1200.pdf