CDA Course Overview
The goal of the CDA course is to prepare CDA candidates to apply to the Council for Professional Recognition
Ten online mentoring tutorials help participants prepare for the CDA Application process, Verification Visit, and the CDA Exam to complete the CDA Credential® process. The first tutorial, CDA: Get Started, will answer many of your questions about cost, requirements, timeline, who to contact for help, and more!
CDA Course requirements
Course work consists of:
80 hours of core/required online lessons (10 hours from each CDA Subject Area)
Core/required online lessons vary according to CDA credential settings (center-based infant-toddler, center-based preschool, home-based family child care).
40 hours of elective online lessons
Elective lessons are selected by the participant from the On Demand Course listings of CDA eligible lessons. Elective lessons must fit the CDA credential setting that is being pursued and can fall under any of the eight CDA Subject Areas. All Better Kid Care (BKC) lessons are coded by CDA Subject Area.
Required course resource books
Reading and workbook assignments are included in the following:
- Essentials for Working with Young Children curriculum
- Essentials Workbook
- The Child Development Associate National Credentialing Program® and CDA Competency Standards (in chosen CDA setting)
Note: The books are available to order from the CDA Council Store.
Better Kid Care Research-to-Practice articles
Short research-to-practice articles for each functional area are part of the coursework.
CDA Professional PortfolioThe On Demand CDA Course includes assignments that lead participants through required steps to complete their CDA Professional Portfolio. Throughout the course, participants:
- Identify and add items to the Resource Collection
- Write six Reflective Statements of Competence, one for each CDA Competency Standard
- Write the Professional Philosophy Statement
- Distribute the Family Questionnaire form
- Complete the Family Questionnaire Summary Sheet
- Prepare for the Verification Visit and CDA Exam
- Council for Professional Recognition. 2013. The Child Development Associate National Credentialing Program® and CDA Competency Standards: Family Child Care Edition. Washington, DC: Council for Professional Recognition.
- Ibid. The Child Development Associate National Credentialing Program® and CDA Competency Standards: Infant-Toddler Edition. Ibid.>
- Ibid. The Child Development Associate National Credentialing Program® and CDA Competency Standards: Preschool Edition. Ibid.
- Council for Professional Recognition, and Valora Washington, Ed. 2013. Essentials for Working with Young Children. Ibid.
Ibid., Ed. 2014. Essentials Workbook. Ibid.
TitleCDA Course Overview
This publication is available in alternative media on request.