Your Private Water Supply
Did you know……
- Over one million Pennsylvania households rely on drilled wells, hand-dug wells, cisterns and even roadside springs for drinking water?
- Pennsylvania is one of the few states in the country without statewide regulations governing private well location, testing and treatment?
- Pollutants in water that can affect health often show no signs (taste, color, odor)?
- Private water systems should be tested annually for total coliform bacteria?
- Many Public Water Systems also rely on groundwater as their primary water source?
- Independent water testing by a certified laboratory can help homeowners avoid purchasing unnecessary water treatment equipment?
Your drinking water begins as rain or snow and ends at the tap in your home. With about 20,000 new wells being drilled each year and rapidly changing land use, information on proper maintenance of private water supplies becomes a necessary part of a homeowner's education.
Penn State Water Resources
- Penn State Water Resources Drinking Water Website - Fact sheets, Links, Videos
- Water Supply and Conservation
Recovery From Flood Damage
- Penn State Flood Damage Resources - Links to information on Air and Water Quality, Basement Clean-up, Animal and Crop Resources, Financial Advice, Food Safety and more
- EPA Consumer Confidence Reports for PA public water suppliers
- EPA Drinking Water and Health
- EPA Drinking Water Standards
- Master Well Owners Network - A network of trained volunteers dedicated to promoting the proper construction and maintenance of private water systems in Pennsylvania and throughout the Mid-Atlantic Region.
- PA Department of Environmental Protection Public Drinking Water Information
- PA Department of Environmental Protection Well Water Information
- Well Water and Testing Fact sheets:Ohio State University
- National Sanitation Foundation: Drinking Water
- Ground Water Industry Professional Links:
- National Groundwater Association - Find a ground water industry professional:
- Well Owner page of the National Groundwater Association
- Information on locating certified well drillers and treatment equipment
- Water Quality Association: Locate WQA water treatment professionals
- National Sanitation Foundation - Home water treatment devices
- PA Department of Environmental Protection Water Testing (York District Office)
- PA DEP Accredited Drinking Water Laboratories in York and Surrounding Counties
- PA Department of Environmental Protection List of Accredited Testing Laboratories - Find accredited laboratories by county
112 Pleasant Acres Road
York, PA 17402
Phone: (717) 840-7408