Learn the 4 D's - Quitting Takes Practice
Get Ready to Quit!
Begin to change the habit by doing the two S's.
The Two S's
- Store the tobacco out of sight in an out of the way place. (If you were on a diet you would not carry a candy bar with you because it would tempt you.)
- Smoke only outside your car or home until you quit. (The air you breathe in your car and home will be free of the toxins in the smoke.)
When you have the urge to smoke or chew, ask yourself if you really want each cigarette/dip. If you answer yes, do all of the four D’s.
The Four D's
- Delay at least5 minutes.Meanwhile,
- Drink water(must be water, not coffee, tea, or soda)
- Deep breath 5 times, slowly in through the nose, out
through the mouth
- Do something else:
- Chew cinnamon gum
- Go for a short walk
- Clean a drawer
- Brush your teeth
- Read to the children
Just do something! Usually the urge will pass.
Make a list of your reasons to quit.
Make a list of reasons to continue smoking.
Call 1-888-664-2248 for free help to develop your personal quit plan or for information to share with someone you care about!