Honey Bees, Algae Blooms, Dairy Beef, Solar & Pies at Ag Day!
Posted: February 10, 2017
Ag Day features 75 Ag vendors & displays, nearly 20 health service exhibitors, a pie baking contest & auction and a delicious lunch (Call to register 278-1158 for lunch)! And of course free cheese, local ice cream and milk from the Susquehanna County Dairy Promotion and Dairy Princess! The event takes place from 10 am to 3:30 pm at the Elk Lake High School. Over 750 people attend this annual event, so join us!
This year you can take part in these great programs!
- Removing Honey Bees From Buildings
- Harmful Algae Blooms in Your Pond
- Solar Power to the People: Solar Energy Benefits, Costs & Funding
- Rearing Steer Calves From Birth to 300lbs
- Biomass Alternatives and Opportunities in NE PA: Grass Pellet Initiative and Biomass Conversion Rebate Program **One $500 rebate available toward pellet stove purchase
- Review of Pest and Weed Issues in 2016 and Pesticide Storage and Security, 1 category credit, 1 core pesticide credit offered
- The Nutrition and Economics of Dairy Beef Steers in the Feedlot
- What’s New in Agronomic Weed and Pest Control and Pesticide Recordkeeping and Notification Requirements, 1 category, 1 core pesticide credit offered
- Webinar: Using Vegetative Windbreaks for Air Quality on Poultry Farms
If you are interested in baking a pie for the pie contest give us a call! All proceeds benefit the Susquehanna County 4-H Dairy Program and Dairy Princess Promotion Program.
Guidelines for the 2017 Ag Day Pie Contest are as follows:
- One pie per participant
- There will be two divisions: adult and youth (under 18)
- Pie should be in a 9-inch aluminum pie plate
- Pies must be entered by 11:00 a.m.; please bring them to the stage in the gym at Ag Day
- The top six pies will be recognized and receive special recognition
- Please pre-register for the contest by calling 570-278-1158
- Anyone is eligible to enter youth or adults, farm or non-farm folks!
Please join the excitement as the pies are auctioned off at 2:30 pm by bidding. You will have a delicious pie to take home and will have supported youth of Susquehanna County!