Grants Available for Farmers’ Markets and Stands
Posted: November 5, 2010
Applications must provide at least 25 percent of the grant amount in matching or in-kind services. Grants may be used for the following eligible projects:
- Promoting an existing farm stand or farmers’ market through marketing materials, media outreach and advertising
- Costs associated with opening a new farm stand or farmers’ market, including site selection, demographic research, farmer recruitment and sales potential analysis
- The cost of developing a business plan for a new farm stand or farmers’ market
- Producing nutrition education materials or educational materials about Pennsylvania farm products
- Purchasing tables, stands and other display materials for use in a farm stand or farmers’ market
- Staffing costs to manage and operate a farm stand or farmers’ market
- Outreach to program participants to increase involvement in food assistance programs
- Capital to farm stands or farmers’ markets to plant specialty crops.
Completed applications must be postmarked by Tuesday, November 23, and should be directed to the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Food Distribution, Direct Farm Sales Grant Program, 2301 North Cameron Street, Room 401, Harrisburg, PA 17110.
For more information about the grant program or to download an application, visit: www.agriculture.state.pa.us and search “Direct Farm Sales Grant.”