High Tunnel Production of Cucumber on Raised Beds
- Raised beds
- Direct seeded into beds on 6/2/00
- Double staggered rows. 12 inches between plants; 12 inches between rows
- 4, 32ft long rows. Total area planted /tunnel ~ 0.006acres
- 15lbs/A of 20-20-20 on 6/20/00
- Initial hand watering; Drip irrigation initiated later in the season. Approximately a total of 8 hours through the season.
Crop growth was extremely vigorous throughout out the growing season. Insect pest and/ or diseases were not a problem in the crop. Three preventative applications of Nova (7/4, 7/12, 7/21) were applied as a preventive measure against powdery mildew.
Stripped cucumber beetles were spotted mid season, however the population did not persist.
Harvest. A total of 9 harvests were made through the season. Harvesting commenced on 7/31/00. Final harvest was made on 8/21/00. However the cucumber vines would have continued producing fruit for probably a few more weeks.
Initial harvest data seemed to show differences in yield between windward and leeward rows. However due to the prolific plant growth it was difficult to differentiate between the rows. Yield data presented is a combination of all four rows. All fruit was graded according to USDA grade standards.
81% of the yield was marketable (Table 1). Fruit classified as cull, was as a result of mice damage, extra large size and misshapen fruit.
Table 1. Cucumber yield
|Total Yield (#)||Total Yield (lbs)||Total Marketable (#)||Total Marketable (lbs)||T/A*||Fancy %||Large %||Small %||Cull Yield (#)||Cull Yield (lbs)||Cull Yield %|