Volunteers chosen will complete a 40+ hour initial training program and volunteer 50 hours the first year. In subsequent years volunteers will complete 8 hours of update training and volunteer 20 hours. Volunteer activities differ in each county of the state. In most counties, Master Gardeners spend time manning Garden Hotlines and answer garden questions that are phoned or brought into County Extension offices each day. Volunteers also present workshops, lectures, and demonstrations to garden clubs, school groups, civic organizations and the general public. They prepare home gardening newsletters, educational leaflets, and displays. Many Master Gardeners work with special audiences such as physically challenged adults, troubled teens, and youth at risk.
Note: There is an initial cost associated with becoming a master gardener. This fee covers the cost of training manuals, supplies, and other costs such as room rental, travel expenses for instructors, etc.Upon an individual's acceptance into the program, this fee will be paid to the local county extension office or Master Gardener program as be county policy.
- Attend required training sessions (40+ hours initially, 8 hours subsequent years).
- Perform the required number of volunteer hours for Penn State Cooperative
Extension per year (50 hours the first year, 20 hours subsequent years).
- Maintain an activity log and submit it to the county extension office on a
monthly, quarterly, or yearly basis as required by county operating
- Attend meetings as scheduled to update information, discuss gardening
problems and coordinate Master Gardener activities.
- Participate in cooperative extension activities as needs arise. Cooperate
well with other volunteers and extension staff involved in the program.
- Accountability to the County Master Gardener Coordinator, Supervising
Extension Educator, and County Extension Director.
- Accept volunteer assignments and changes made by Master Gardener Coordinator
or Supervising Extension Educator.
- Provide own transportation.
- Maintain a flexible schedule which permits day and/or evening and/or weekend