Current Status of Restricted-use Pesticides in Pennyslvania

Under the authority of the amended Pennsylvania Pesticide Control Act of 1973 and the amended Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA), applicators who apply restricted-use pesticides (RUP) in the production of an agricultural crop must be certified as a private applicator or must work under the direct supervision of a certified applicator.

Furthermore, only certified applicators can purchase restricted-use pesticides. The pesticide dealer is required by law to record the name, address, and certification number of the purchaser of RUPs, as well as the identity of the product, amount sold, and date of purchase. Commercial and public pesticide applicators must be certified to use both general and restricted-use pesticide products.

The official list of Pennsylvania's RUPs includes all pesticide products designated as restricted-use by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, and, in the interest of the public health and welfare of the citizens of the Commonwealth, any other product designated for restricted-use by the Secretary of Agriculture, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. If a pesticide is restricted use, it will be clearly marked on the label.

Poison Control Centers


Calling the toll-free National Poison Center hotline will connect you to the nearest poison center. Pennsylvania residents are served by the Pittsburgh Poison Center and the Poison Control Center in Philadelphia.

Download Publication

Article Details


Current Status of Restricted-use Pesticides in Pennyslvania

This publication is available in alternative media on request.