Physical control of weeds under the trellis by mowing, cultivation, hand hoeing, and pulling is suggested. Growth in row middles should be controlled by mowing.
Insect and Disease Control Suggestions
- Use varieties and rootstocks resistant to root louse (Phylloxera).
- Prune to keep the vines vigorous.
- Prune off and dispose of all dead, diseased, and broken parts.
- Rake the soil clean under the vine and remove old and shriveled fruit from the vine before spring growth starts.
- Identify insects and diseases accurately.
- Spray when necessary. Table 6.5 and Table 6.6 provide information about the use of pesticides on grapes.
This publication is available in alternative media on request.