Field Crop Cover Crop Workshop and Tour, Big Flats PMC, 11/14/2013
Date and Location
When (Date/Time)November 14, 2013, 9:15 AM - 4:30 PM
This Years Program Includes:
- Dave Shearing- Consultant, CCA- Western Crop Management Association and Fisher Welles- Crop Farmer Chemung Co. (3100 acres) Discussion of benefits of zone-builder, comparisons between conventional, no-till and zone-builder on years with drought and excessive precipitation and demonstration of zone-builder.
- Paul Salon- USDA-NRCS, Plant Materials Specialist- Tour of cover crop demonstration plots at Big Flats PMC, which includes a time of planting demo with over 250 plots (species, varieties or mixes); some seeded at several seeding dates. Chris Houser- Penn. State Extension, CIG grant 3-way interseeder demo results in corn and soybeans.
- Aaron Ristow- Agriculture Coordinator, Upper Susquehanna Coalition (USC); Cover Cropping within the Chesapeake Bay TMDL Framework.
- Dale Gates- USDA-NRCS, Resource Conservationist- Updated Cover Crop Specification for New York.
- Quirine Ketterings- Cornell University Dept. of Animal Science, Associate Professor, Nutrient Management Spear Program; Winter-Forage Small Grains to Boost Feed Supply: From Cover Crop to Double Crop, results from 2013 trials.
- Charlie White- Extension Specialist Penn State University, Cover crop mixtures: How many species and in what combination to achieve desired goals.
- Dave Mclaughlin- Vice President PA No-Till Alliance, (Dairy and Crop Farmer, Perry Co., Pa.), and Jim Hershey President and founding member of PA No-Till Alliance (Raises hogs, broilers and crops in Lancaster County, PA) and Joel Meyers (Crop Farmer, Centre Co. Pa., no-till and soil health consultant, and former State Agronomist USDA-NRCS), Introduction to the Alliance, how to form and maintain farmer networks.
- Panel Discussion with Dave Mclaughlin, Jim Hershey, and Joel Meyers of the PA. No-till Alliance.**
Please bring $12 to cover the cost of lunch, exact change would be appreciated. 4 CCA credits are available.
If you are in need of any special accommodations or have any further questions please contact Paul Salon @ firstname.lastname@example.org or call 607-562-8404.