Toss your Hat in the Ring
Posted: December 15, 2014
For all those people who have ever thought about serving on their school board, borough council or township board – here’s your chance to learn how to do it. Pennsylvania’s system of local government places many decisions about land use, economic development, local roads and our children’s education in the hands of township supervisors, borough and city council members, and school district directors.
Penn State Extension's Pocono District is offering a workshop ‘Toss your Hat in the Ring’ in Wayne and Monroe Counties at the end of January 2015.
The workshop includes:
- an overview of Pennsylvania local government and the responsibilities of a township supervisor, a borough council member, or a school board director – presented by Penn State Extension
- instructions on how to run: filing a petitions, reporting campaign expenses and other important information – presented by the county election office.
- a panel of local officials who will talk about why they decided to run for office and some of their experiences since they were elected
The workshop will focus ion understanding the roles, responsibilities and personal rewards that come with public service. “The people who run our local governments are our friends and neighbors – people just like us,” explained Penn State Extension Educator Peter Wulfhorst. “You don’t need special training or experience to serve your township, borough or school district. If you’re interested in serving, care about your community, and are willing to learn on the job, we’d like to encourage you to throw your hat in the ring.”
“Toss your Hat in the Ring” will be conducted at:
- the Monroe Extension office in Stroudsburg, Monday, January 26, 2015 from 7-9 pm RESCHEDULED TO 2/4/15 DUE TO WEATHER
- the Wayne Extension office in Honesdale, Thursday, January 29, 2015 from 7-9 pm.
Registration is $25/person.
In case of inclement weather: please check with local radio or television stations for cancellations.