Skyscrapers and green beans?
December 23, 2013
- Heritage Farm is one of approximately 20 urban farms being impacted by Extension education in Philadelphia. As these new farming communities illustrate, an urban presence for Extension is a gateway to a wider Penn State College of Agricultural Sciences addressing the growing needs of a relatively unique environment.
Penn State Extension Partners with Myers Recreation Center (VIDEO)
December 16, 2013
- For the past 10 years, the Penn State Extension Philadelphia staff has enjoyed a working partnership with staff of The Francis J. Myers Recreation Center, a Philadelphia Park and Recreation (PPR) facility. Penn State Extension 4-H staff partner with Ms. Edna Reddick and the Myers staff for School Enrichment, Special Interest, and Summer Camp Programs.
From Farm to Soup Bowl
December 6, 2013
- For some people, bright orange pumpkins are meant to be carved into Halloween Jack-o-Lanterns. To Penn State Extension Nutrition Education Advisor (NEA), Simran James, however, it means choosing the ideal pumpkin to turn into homemade soup, courtesy of Heritage Farms.
Philadelphia Councilman Bobby Henon’s Northeast Fall Festival
October 21, 2013
- It’s a hot, late September day, and you are surrounded by boxes and crates of fresh, locally-grown produce provided by The Common Market. What would you do with an entire case of curly kale?
They’ll Help You Master Gardening
October 9, 2013
- In the last issue of The Shuttle, I gave a brief overview of the various programs and resources that Penn State Extension offers in Philadelphia. For the next several issues, I am going to share a more detailed look at individual programs, volunteers and staff members who make up the Penn State Extension Philadelphia. Together our goal is to share unbiased, research-based information with local residents.
Go Ahead, Ask Them Anything
September 6, 2013
- Where can your child learn about how to hatch (and then care for) a chicken? How do you find out if your soil is safe to grow vegetables? What do you do if you suspect bedbugs? How do you learn more about feeding your children a healthy, balanced diet? Who knows if you can sell homemade pies at market? Answers can be found with your local Penn State Extension.
Community Nutrition Education Update
May 22, 2013
- On the last day of class, pride and happiness filled the room as Penn State Extension Nutrition Links Advisor, Luz Stella Valencia and LaSalle University Nutrition Program student, Cheyenne Phelps handed out the graduation certificates and congratulated participants on their success. Not only did these ladies earn their certificate, but they have also earned a new healthy lifestyle for themselves and their families.
SEPTA Links with Penn State Extension
May 13, 2013
- This spring, the Southeastern PA Transportation Authority (SEPTA) Wellness Department partnered with Penn State Extension Philadelphia to bring Nutrition Links, a USDA sponsored program, to Frankford Depot. Participants learned about food safety, appropriate portion size, and how to shop healthy on a budget, among other topics.
Penn State in the City Urban Agriculture Festival
May 2, 2013
- Our First Annual Penn State in the City spring event which was held this year at SHARE Food Program’s Nice Roots Farm was a smashing success. Under sparkling blue skies, Penn State Extension staff, volunteers, and partners shared their expertise with families and friends from throughout the Philadelphia region. (PHOTOS)
"We're On Target Archery Club"
April 9, 2013
- Penn State Philadelphia Extension 4-H students meet weekly at Jardel Recreation Center, located in Northeast Philadelphia to learn the Art of Archery shooting. (VIDEO)
Celebrate Living Well Week
March 12, 2013
- Penn State Extension Family and Consumer Sciences educational programs reach millions of Pennsylvanians each year. Families and individuals count on Extension to help address some of our most pressing issues including obesity, food safety and community resilience.
Weavers Way’s Standing Partnership with Penn State Extension Philadelphia
February 15, 2013
- Collectively, Weavers Way farms have over 6,000 square feet of winter growing space. In this case, “winter growing space” is made up of our high tunnels and low tunnels (also known as hoop houses) which are really just simplified green houses, made of plastic and metal poles. They are heated only by the sun, and have no electricity…
Wissahickon Trotters Spread Seasonal Cheer
February 15, 2013
- Recently, the Penn State Extension Wissahickon Trotters 4-H club in Philadelphia took their love of horses and voices to residents and staff of the Chestnut Hill Lodge and Rehabilitation Center. This was the 2nd annual visit by the Trotters and family members to CHLR, where they sang seasonal songs to a group of about 30.
Penn State Extension 4-H Embryology Survives Hurricane Sandy
January 8, 2013
- October 22, 2012. Delivery date for Penn State Extension 4-H Fall Embryology. On the drive up to Quakertown, PA to pick up the eggs for the delivery, Jackie Simon, Penn State Extension 4-H Educator in Philadelphia listened to the weather reports and the threats of Hurricane Sandy and reminded herself to alert the teachers participating in the program to be aware of any possible loss of electricity. Never did she think that the Hurricane would be as severe as it was and cause such devastation.