Introducing Tommy McCann Our Newest Member of the Philadelphia Extension Team
November 14, 2012
- Penn State Extension would like to begin with a sincere Thank You to Heather Zimmerman for her wonderful work with Penn State in Philadelphia and all of her concentrated efforts in Horticulture Education and High Tunnel management. Heather has moved on from her position with Penn State, but will still be an active member of Urban Agricultural endeavors in the City!
Coming Together to Bring Food and Nutrition Education to Urban Community
November 7, 2012
- From kicking up fresh Taco Salads to kicking steps on the classroom floor, the inaugural 7-week course of “Learning How to Cook, Eat, and Live a Healthy Life” is well on its way.
Penn State Extension Composting at Saul H.S.
September 25, 2012
- In classes based on the Penn State Extension’s ‘Composting Is Recycling Naturally’ presentation, students studying Environmental Science and Natural Resource Management at Philadelphia’s W.B. Saul High School have learned the backyard composting process for the last 7 years.
Penn State Extension 4-H Robotics Program Comes to Philadelphia
August 20, 2012
- Robotics is becoming one of the fastest growing areas in Penn State Extension 4-H science. With its focus on engineering, creative problem solving, mathematics, teamwork, applied science, and fun, the new curriculum has generated enthusiastic participants and considerable success in its first year.
SuperCupboard: A Unique “SHARE’d” Partnership
June 1, 2012
- Mention the word “super” and what comes to mind? Flying superheroes? Certainly. However, a SuperCupboard is an altogether different hero that does not require a cape or special powers, but does call for a unique partnership.
Philadelphia Parks and Recreation Connects with Penn State Extension’s Harvest 4-Health Program
May 1, 2012
- Penn State Extension 4-H continues its work with The Philadelphia Parks and Recreation Department (PPR) with the development of three new gardens and the expansion of three existing gardens.
Penn State Extension High Tunnel Alliance Urban Sustainability Forum
April 9, 2012
- Last month, the Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University’s Urban Sustainability Forum highlighted the ways in which Philadelphia’s high tunnel farms contribute to the food security of our neighborhoods. At the event, Penn State Extension Master Gardeners and 4-H staff shared their knowledge and presented program information to colleagues and friends while mingling with the near capacity audience.
Penn State Extension Hortline Open for Business
March 20, 2012
- With the onset of spring, the Penn State Extension Master Gardeners have picked up their telephones as well as their trowels to help citizens with gardening questions ranging from annual flowers to xeric landscaping.
Penn State Extension Philadelphia at the Pennsylvania Farm Show
February 21, 2012
- The Pennsylvania Farm Show is the largest indoor agricultural exposition in the country and celebrates agriculture as Pennsylvania’s number-one industry.
LaSalle University Makes Room for Penn State Extension Nutrition Links
January 17, 2012
- An unexpected opportunity occurred when Penn State Extension moved out of its West Philadelphia office and downsized into a temporary administrative space in Center City.