Best Management Practices for Equipment and Transportation
- Evaluate used equipment for contamination before use. Know where the equipment has been and whether or not the weeds are prevalent in that region.
- Clean all farm equipment that comes in contact with noxious weeds. Clean tillage and harvest equipment for leaving infested fields.
- For combines, compressed air and vacuum are recommended for clean out. This is particularly important for combines with a platform header.
- Start at the front of the machine with the header, feeder and rock trap.
- Next move to the grain tank, unload auger and sump.
- Finally, move the cleaning shoe and back of the machine.
This process can take minutes to several hours, depending on the equipment and where it has been.
TitleBest Management Practices for Equipment and Transportation
This publication is available in alternative media on request.