How Does Online Training Work?
- You must first submit an online application and be accepted into the MWON program. MWON volunteers must not be employed by a business that profits from private water system owners (water treatment sales, water testing labs, well drillers, etc.). Volunteers must also agree to attempt to educate at least 100 private water system owners within two years. Each online training course will be limited to about 20 volunteers.
- Applicants who have been accepted and received a confirmation email of acceptance will be sent an introductory email before the course begins. The initial email will include a link to a short, pre-test which each volunteer must submit before beginning the class.
- Most of the online training can be done at the volunteers own pace. There will be one optional online class meeting at the mid-point of the course. No special software is required to attend this online meeting but you will need a high-speed internet connection (no modem connections) and speakers for sound. This optional meeting will occur on our secure online meeting room
- Class members will receive a weekly email introducing the next chapter topic and providing links to information for the chapter.
- The class textbook is A Guide to Private Water Systems in Pennsylvania. Class members will need to read certain parts of this publication as part of each section of the class.
- The class is comprised of six chapters. Each chapter will include a 45 to 60-minute taped webinar that must be viewed. An audio password will be given during the webinar which must be supplied on the post-test to prove that the video was viewed. In addition to the taped webinar, the participants will need to read the appropriate chapter from the Guide. A link will also be provided to a short post-test after each chapter.
- To be certified, the volunteer will have to score a cumulative 70% on the post-tests plus they must correctly identify the password given for each session. Those that pass the course will be mailed a certificate, hard-copy of the new private water system handbook, coupon for a 10% discount on water testing through the Penn State Ag Analytical Lab, a copy of all MWON brochures and web cards with the MWON web site address for use in public education.
- Certified MWON volunteers will be provided information on how to get assistance with their educational activities. They will also receive instructions on how to complete an annual report of their accomplishments.