Marcellus Educational Consortium
Providing people with well-researched information on the benefits and challenges of the Marcellus play is critical to smart, sustainable growth and development in the region. The consortium will help identify educational needs and guide the development of innovative new programming. It is an example of the types of partnerships Extension facilitates to benefit Pennsylvania.
Bringing the resources of the University together with expertise of external partners to address the needs of our commonwealth is why Extension exists. The educational consortium is a perfect example of a collaboration that is developed for the good of Pennsylvania citizens, communities and businesses.
Using timely and unbiased, evidence-based research and education, the Consortium will assist citizens, businesses, elected officials, and others to understand and respond to the challenges, opportunities, and issues related to Marcellus Shale natural gas development. These efforts are to be developed in partnership with Consortium membership.
The consortium's goals are to provide expertise on Marcellus topics and to facilitate discussions among community members, business leaders and others.
Penn State Extension, with support from the Marcellus Education Consortium, will address the informational and educational needs of the full spectrum of Marcellus stakeholders through a number of initiatives:
- Increase collaborations with key business, environmental, and agency stakeholders on issues arising from Marcellus development;
- Develop enhanced programs and materials centered on Marcellus shale impacts;
- Increase financial resources to expand delivery methods;
- Use specialized business expertise for outreach efforts where appropriate;
- Develop new web- and technology-based information portals to increase access to programming; and,
- Explore additional staffing options for increasing presence in Marcellus educational outreach in Pennsylvania.
Funds generated through membership in the Consortium will be used to further its objectives and identify new initiatives to be undertaken by the Penn State Marcellus Educational Team.
For More Information
If you are interested in knowing more about the Consortium, please contact Penn State Extension Marcellus Education Team at 570-320-4429.