Tubing Systems Pros/Cons
The more modern way of collecting maple sap to produce maple syrup is with tubing systems. The use of tubing has both pros and cons.
- When using tubing, do not have to empty buckets
- When using tubing, can do more taps and get more sap per tap if you use vacuum
- Often cheaper to set up initially than buckets
- Tubing is often damaged by squirrels that chew on it
- Tubing requires more maintenance than buckets
- Tubing is not as pretty as a row of roadside trees on buckets. Frequently, producers say that it looks like trees are on IV's.