Christmas Tree Selection and Caring Tips
December 6, 2012
- So you bought a tree and now want to take good care of it so it will last and keep its needles.
Reducing the Potential of Prussic Acid Poisoning After Frost
October 19, 2012
- Sudangrass, forage sorghums and sorghum-sudangrass crosses (all in the genus Sorghum) contain a non-poisonous chemical called dhurrin. If these plants are damaged by freezing, chewing or trampling), the dhurrin is converted into prussic acid (cyanide) which is potentially very dangerous for animals eating these crops.
Don't Rush Winter Wheat Establishment
September 6, 2012
- As our growing season for corn and soybeans begins to wind down, focusing on establishing another crop of winter small grains begins.
Is Fungus Shooting at Your Home?
August 27, 2012
- As the cooler, damp fall weather approaches, a second wave of those tiny dark spots on your house siding may start appearing.
Summer Seeded Oats for Forage Production
August 9, 2012
- This summer’s wide spread dry weather has created concern by many dairy producers related to the potential for short forage supplies next year.
Insects Active in Crop Fields
July 18, 2012
- John Tooker, Penn State Extension Entomologist reminds farmers Potato Leafhopper populations continue to be very high across the Pennsylvania. Growers are likely to be aware of this issue as ‘hopperburn’ is evident in many alfalfa fields.
Healthy Tips for Summer Fun
June 14, 2012
- The Pennsylvania 4-H Positive Youth Development Team recently developed a tip sheet, which includes 100 tips and snacks.
Late Blight Found!
June 7, 2012
- Potato and tomato growers should be aware of the symptoms and check their plants.
Beware of Hot Hay
May 30, 2012
- Moist hay can quickly become hot hay which can ignite through spontaneous combustion.
Be Careful Planting Soybean into Cold Soils
May 3, 2012
- The soil temperature at planting time and for the next 24 hours is crucial and more important than the temperature following that period.
Spring, a Time of Planting Trees
April 24, 2012
- To increase your chances of having a successful tree planting in your home’s landscape or orchard here are some simple guidelines to follow.
Benefit from planting Vegetable Companions
March 23, 2012
- While some companion plantings may be no more than a traditional theories or mysteries, scientific studies have, in fact, shown some vegetables to benefit when planted around certain companion combinations.
Time to Start Seeds?
March 5, 2012
- Plants vary in the length of time they need prior to transplanting.
Spring Soil Sampling
February 29, 2012
- Soil testing is always important but even more so under current conditions.
Growing Herbs Indoors
February 1, 2012
- Growing many favorite herbs indoors during the winter months is easy and a fun activity for the whole family.