Become a Young Lungs at Play Community
Municipalities, school districts, youth sports organizations and other groups are invited to join Penn State Extension and partnering agencies in eliminating children’s exposure to secondhand smoke at public parks and playgrounds. Adopting 100% tobacco free laws, ordinances, policies or resolutions in public areas where children play help to accomplish this. Policy initiatives are key strategies in influencing community norms and effective ways to limit exposure to the dangers of secondhand smoke. This initiative will protect the environment and protect the health of all. We will support you as you work to create tobacco-free parks and playgrounds.
Join Young Lungs at Play - 3 Easy Steps:
- Develop, approve and implement a local tobacco-free parks and playgrounds ordinance, policy or resolution that identifies the specific areas within the park or playground being covered and includes:
- a statement that all forms of tobacco use are prohibited
- an enforcement plan
- a communications plan for informing the public
Young Lungs at Play Participants Will Receive:
- Invitations to meetings for Young Lungs at Play information.
- sample press releases to notify the general community and media
- Free 12"x18" Young Lungs at Play metal signs to place in your tobacco-free area(s).