In Lawrence County we provide classes to help limited income participants learn how to:
• Stretch food dollars
• Plan and prepare tasty, healthful meals
• Handle food in a safe manner
• Use SNAP benefits and other resources wisely
Participants must either be pregnant or have children under the age of 19. Adults with primary responsibility for care and feeding a child(ren) under age 19 are also eligible. Participants should be responsible for planning and preparing family meals.
All classes are free.
Contact our staff in your county to join a class!
In FY14 we provided classes to 78 adult participants reaching 205 family members.
- 98% of surveyed participants showed improvement in one or more food resource management practices (i.e. plans meals, compares prices, does not run out of food or uses grocery lists).
- 84% of surveyed participants showed improvement in one or more nutrition practices (i.e. plans meals, makes healthy food choices, prepares foods without adding salt, reads nutrition labels or has children eat breakfast).
- 52% of surveyed participants showed improvement in one or more of the food safety practices (i.e. thawing and storing foods properly).
- Average cost savings on food per family/ per month:$68.00