Meeting Well: Working with the Caterer
Posted: April 13, 2016
Consider these requests as you meet with caterers and chefs:
• Ask that fruits and vegetables be served with every meal and break (if you do decide to have food at breaks).
• Ask that whole-grain cereals, breads, rice, and pasta be used whenever possible.
• Ask for smaller portion sizes of foods like bagels and muffins.
• Ask that fresh fruit always be available as a dessert option.
• Ask that other desserts be garnished with fresh fruit (i.e. berries) and that they be in smaller portions.
• Ask that sauces for vegetables, grains, and meats always be served on the side.
• Ask that high-fat salad ingredients – dressings, cheese, croutons, bacon bits—be served on the side.
• Ask for calories to be reduced in their menu by using lower fat ingredients, adding less sugar, and preparing foods using lower-fat cooking methods (baked, grilled, broiled instead of frying). Also ask that herbs and spices are used for flavor and less calories instead of heavy cream or butter.
Source: American Cancer Society; Penn State Extension’s Meeting Well initiative