Say Yes to Dining In!
Posted: November 23, 2015
Here is an easy way to improve your health, have fun, promote family sharing and lengthen your life! Plan a meal and eat together! Dine-In Day is a special day to recognize the value of family meals, promoted by the American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences. The only requirement is to prepare and eat a meal together on December 3, 2015. Sign up to find resources and an interactive map to see who else is up to the challenge of home cooking! Then the fun begins – you can connect with other families and other groups who accepted the challenge in one of these ways:
- • Take a photo of your family or group preparing a healthy meal and post it toFacebook, Twitter, and/or Instagram using #FCSday and #healthyfamselfie.
• Ask your friends and family to "Dine In."
• Pin your favorite family meal recipes to a "Dining In" Pinterest board.
• Register to win prizes before and on Dining In Day.
• Have a favorite recipe? Post it on the AAFCS Facebook page!
Go to the Family Dinner Project to find family dinner blogs, pages of fun conversation starters and many other resources. Find recipes for One Pot Wonders and Build Your Own meals the family can prepare.Proven benefits of family meals include:
- less likelihood your family will be overweight or obese,
- improved meal quality and healthier foods,
- improved family relationships,
- better literacy skills and better grades for kids and teens and
- reduced expenditures on meals, thereby saving money.
Tips for "Dining In"
1. Make family meals a priority and agree upon a schedule.
2. Try to have regular family meals two to three times per week.
3. If dinnertime doesn't work, have family breakfasts or snacks.
4. Keep meals simple. Slow cookers save time in the evening!
5. Double recipes and freeze food for a second meal.
6. Set aside 30 minutes on the weekend for meal planning.
7. Make family meals fun and include children in food preparation.
8. Discuss neutral or positive topics at the table – have a few conversation starters up your sleeve.
9. Eliminate distractions like TV and cell phones.
10. Eat slowly, and enjoy your time as a family!