TAP Food Safety Certification
Training meets the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture requirements for the Food Employee Certification Act.
Upon registration, you will receive an e-mail with a link to the training program, your user name and password (check your spam folder).
- Once begun, the learner has 180 days to complete the program training.
- Certification - Learner must take a proctored exam and pass with a score of 75%.
- Exams must be scheduled 10 days in advance with the Extension Educator offering the course. Exams are not available in all counties. View County Contacts list for the contact in your county.
- Learner must present TAP certificate of course completion, and photo ID in order to take the exam.
Cost is $140.00 per person and includes the exam. A book is available at additional cost. Course is available in English or Spanish.
Food Safety Certification
The Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture (PDA) food employee regulation states that food establishments regulated by the PDA or a local health agency must employ at least one supervisory employee who has successfully completed a certified food-safety training course.
Certification is good for 5 years from the date of issue on the certificate. To maintain certification an individual must pass a certification exam every five years.
This course offered by Penn State Cooperative Extension will help your establishment fulfill the PDA requirement for certification. If you are uncertain as to whether you need certification, contact your regional PDA office.
The following topics will be covered in this course:
- The Need for Food Safety Training
- Foodborne Illness
- Hygiene, Health & Food Safety
- Flow of Food: Purchasing, Receiving, Storing, Preparing, Cooking and Serving
- Environment: Equipment, Cleaning, Sanitizing, Pest Control and Facilities
- The HACCP System
Operating Systems and Devices
- Windows versions 7, 8, XP, 2000 or Vista
- Nook Color or HD
- iOS (iPad/iPhone) or Mac OSX 10.5 or higher
- Internet Explorer 6.0, Firefox 2, Safari, Chrome
- 512 MB Memory
- Flash Player version 9 (Flash will update itself if necessary)
- Multimedia support (speakers or headphones)
- DSL, Cable, Wireless or any other broadband connection (2Mbps or higher)
- iPad/iPhone devices require using a Flash supported browser such as Puffin Web Browser