Lynn James, M.S., R.D., L.D.N.
Lynn James, M.S., R.D., L.D.N. joined the Penn State Cooperative Extension staff as a Family Living, Food & Nutrition Extension Educator in September, 1998. Based in Sunbury, she provides educational programs and program leadership to adults, families and youth on improving nutrition, health, and food safety in Snyder, Union, Northumberland, Lycoming, Montour, Columbia, Mifflin and Juniata counties. She provides state-wide leadership for nutrition and health programs as Pennsylvania State University Extension Co-Chair for Diet, Nutrition & Health programs. A Registered Dietitian, she obtained a Bachelor of Science degree in Dietetics from Indiana University of Pennsylvania, a Master of Science degree in Nutrition from Case Western Reserve University, and dietetic internship from the Veterans Administration and University Hospitals of Cleveland. Lynn is certified in Child and Adolescent Weight Management from the American Dietetic Association, and is a certified ServSafe instructor from the National Restaurant Association. Lynn has worked with all age groups providing nutrition and food safety education in clinical and community settings, long- term care, schools, and food service. Her current program focus is community nutrition research and programming in childhood and family overweight prevention, Type 2 Diabetes, administering a regional USDA Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program- Nutrition Links- for families and youth with limited finanical resources, and food safety and food preservation. She is lead author and principal investigator on the statewide, national award winning Penn State Extension Family Fitness Program.
- Kaplan, M., James, L., Alloway, F., and Kiernan, N.E.(2011). Youth empowerment in family conversations and decision-making about food. In J.M. Cramer, C.P. Greene, and L.M. Walters (Eds.). Food as communication/ Communication as food. New York: Peter Lang Publishing Group.
- James, L. The Family Fitness Program, Networking News, Nutrition Education for the Public, American Dietetic Association; Summer, 2009: 4-5, 9. http://www.dietetics.com/nepdpg/html/networking_news.asp
- Kaplan, M., Kiernan, M.E, James, L. Intergenerational Family Conversations and Decision Making about Eating Healthfully, J Nutr Educ Behav.; 2006;38: 298- 306.
- The Family Fitness Program, James, L., et. al. published by The College of Agricultural Sciences, The Pennsylvania State University, 2006, 2008.
- James, L., Campbell, D. Seniors Eating Well. (2006). The College of Agricultural Sciences, The Pennsylvania State University.
- Creating Health, Children’s Nutrition Overweight, and Physical Activity Issues, (2003). The College of Agricultural Sciences, The Pennsylvania State University.
- Cooking for Crowds: A Volunteers’ Guide to Food Safety, D,. McElroy, L. James, et.al.,(2003). College of Agricultural Sciences, The Pennsylvania State University.