Exploring the Small Farm Dream
This introductory course and a self-study workbook use a participatory approach to help aspiring farmers evaluate their small farm ideas against lifestyle realities and asset and capitalization concerns. Covers market research; regulations relevant to agricultural endeavors; creating a marketing plan, business plan, and other documents; and establishing a peer network.
What to Expect:
- Creative exercise, research and class discussions that will help you assess your skills and resources.
- Interviews with local farm business owners that will assist you in deciding how to carry your dream forward.
- Connections with others interested in new farm enterprises.
Who Should Attend:
- Career changers and farm newbies breaking into agricultural pursuits
- Farm apprentices interested in launching their own start-ups
- Small Farm Possibilities
- A market farm operation specializing in heirloom vegetables.
- A pick-your-own orchard
- A grass-fed beef CSA enterprise
- A goat dairy selling cheese and yogurt
- A garden supplying cut flowers