1. If someone is entangled in a PTO shaft you should NOT disengage (take out of gear, not uncouple) the PTO. WHY NOT?
2. In addition to emergency phone numbers, what else should be posted by your house and barn phone?
3. You have come across a tractor that has overturned on a hillside and trapped a farmer underneath. You are the first on the scene. What should you do first?
4. What are two safety articles you should carry on your tractor?
5. When should you move an injured person?
6. How much blood can an adult lose before the situation becomes life threatening?
7. If a farm injury results in an amputated part, how should you care for the part?
8. What is the leading cause of death to children on the farm?
9. A child is climbing on a gate that is leaning against a barn. Explain why this is dangerous.
10. Are children less than ten years of age injured on the farm more often while working (doing chores) or playing?
11. True or False AND WHY? Children should never ride in a loaded grain wagon but it is okay for an adult to ride in one.
12. To do field work of any kind, 14 and 15 year old youth need to complete a training program which is (how many) hours long?
13. Few children under the age of _______ can anticipate or handle danger.
14. Name a common cause of injury/death on the farm to children under 4 years old.
15. Name a common cause of injury/death on the farm to children 10-13 years of age.
16. Explain where a person should stand when they are helping to hitch an implement to a tractor.
17. The best preventative measure for keeping children safe on the farm is___________?
18. When should silage be leveled after putting the last load into the silo?
19. True or False. Breathing silo gas in high concentrations can kill immediately.
20. How long should you stay out of a silo after filling it?
21. What should you do if a person passes out in a manure storage facility?
22. Name 2 early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
23. What causes the rotten egg smell in an enclosed manure pit?
24. Name 3 confined spaces on the farm.
25. If someone is buried below the surface of grain, in order to pull them out you would have to be strong enough to lift how many pounds?
26. How long does it take for someone to become helplessly trapped in flowing grain?
27. In a conventional silo which is the gas that may be most abundant?
28. Name 3 precautions you should take before entering a silo?
29. What do the initials SCBA stand for?
30. True or False AND WHY? It is safe to swim in a farm pond that has bluish-green
“pond scum” floating on the top?
31. What age child is most frequently the victim of farm pond drowning?
32. True or False AND WHY? Non-metallic materials such as lumber, tree limbs, tires, ropes, or straw can be used to help someone who has picked up a live power line.
33. Name three ways to prevent electric shock.
34. In the current electrical code, grounding conductors are indicated by what color of insulation?
35. What are 3 things needed to start a fire?
36. What class fire extinguisher should you have in the barn?
37. What is a class A fire?
38. Safety cans used to store diesel fuel should be painted what color?
39. What is considered more hazardous- a)flammable liquids or b) combustible liquids?
40. What is “flashpoint”?
41. A fire barrier should prevent insulation from heating to more than (how many) degrees above the ambient temperature AND for (how many) minutes?
42. What is the leading known cause of farm fires?
43. Describe the international safety symbol.
44. The highest percentage of farm related injuries occur during which farm tasks?
45. In PA what is responsible for the highest number of farm injuries?
46. Name 2 things you should wear if you are going to be out in the sun.
47. Why do baseball caps NOT provide enough protection from the sun?
48 What has been called the “silent epidemic” among farmers?
49. True or False AND WHY? Listening to music through ‘Walkman’ type headphones can help protect your ears from loud noises while you work.
50. What 2 factors determine the degree of noise induced hearing loss you will sustain if you are exposed to noise?
51. What do the initials NRR on ear plugs stand for?
52. Why do you need to be extra careful around any animal that has just given birth?
53. True or False AND WHY? Animals such as horses and cattle are more content when isolated.
54. What is the medical term for diseases that can be transmitted from animals to humans?
55. How is Lyme disease transmitted to humans?
56. Why is it important to provide good lighting for your livestock in the barn?
57. Some farmers can contract a respiratory disease called hisoplasmosis. What causes this disease?
58. Identify 3 ways an animal can injure you.
59. Explain why you would be unable to jump clear of a skid steer bucket if you were underneath it when the hydraulics failed.
60. When using a front end loader, why is it safest to keep the load low to the ground while moving?
61. Why is the PTO shaft potentially dangerous?
62. What are the 3 most important rules to follow to avoid PTO entanglements?
63. Name 1 reason an ATV is dangerous to operate on public roads.
64. What is the first thing you should do when you get ready to mow the lawn?
65. When PUSHING a lawn mower is it safer to mow up and down a hill or safer to mow across a hill?
66. What are the 3 reactive forces of a chain saw?
67. Name 3 things that can cause kickback while a chain saw is cutting?
68. Give 2 examples of pinch point hazards on farm machinery.
69. If a chemical is very poisonous what symbol/words will appear on the label?
70. Where should chemicals be stored on the farm?
71. If you suspect that a person has been poisoned by a chemical what should you always take to the hospital with the person?
72. What does LD-50 mean?
73. Name 3 ways a chemical can enter your body.
74. What is the best way to dispose of a registered pesticide?
75. On a pesticide label what do the initials REI indicate?
76. Name 3 optimal conditions for pesticide application.
76. What does it mean if safety glasses are stamped with Z.87?
77. What type of shoes should be worn when mowing the grass?
78. What 2 pieces of safety equipment should you wear when shooting a gun for target practice?
79. Name 2 ways you can tell when a filter in a cartridge type air purifying respirator needs to be changed.
80. Why should you NOT wear leather or canvas type shoes when using pesticides?
81. Name 3 items of personal protective equipment to use when riding an ATV.
82. A farmer is using a screw driver on the starter motor to help start a tractor. WHAT is this called and WHY is this a dangerous practice?
83. How many people can safely ride on a tractor?
84. Why are ROPS important to have on a tractor?
84. Explain why it is necessary to use a seat belt when a tractor has a ROPS.
85. Describe what can happen to a tractor when the point of hitching of a heavy load is too high.
86. True or False AND WHY? When you are stuck in the mud on your tractor you should try to back out first.
87. Name 2 causes of tractor overturns.
88. When should a slow moving vehicle sign be displayed?
89. What are 2 primary forces that must be controlled to avoid SIDE rollovers?
90. How quickly can a tractor reach the point of no return in a rear overturn?
91. What is the safest way for a tractor operator to start a tractor?
92. What 2 age groups have the highest percentage of tractor injury incidents?
93. What is the point on a tractor where all parts balance one another?
94. For a tractor to stay upright, its center of gravity must stay within the tractor’s ____________.
95. Centrifugal force becomes more dangerous in tractor operation as the tractor’s center of gravity is moved a) higher or b) lower?
96. Name 3 factors important to tractor stability/instability.
97. Where is the center of gravity normally found on a two-wheel drive tractor?
98. What portion of tractor fatalities in the US are the result of overturns?
99. An increase in tractor speed will a) increase or b) decrease the centrifugal force?
100. What is the best way to minimize injuries from a tractor rollover?