AgSafety4u: Online Ag Safety Course
Posted: August 31, 2012
The certificate course was developed for agricultural employers, employees and other rural workers. The AgSafety4u certificate course consists of the following six modules:
- Introduction to agricultural safety and health
- Safety basics (e.g., youth, hand signals, personal protective equipment)
- Agricultural hazards (e.g., animals, pesticides, confined spaces, mechanical hazards)
- The tractor (e.g., types, hazards, controls, pre-operation checks, stability)
- Connecting and using implements with the tractor (e.g., implements, PTO connections, hydraulic components)
- Materials handling (e.g., skid steers, ATVs, and utility vehicles)
Participants receive a digital certificate that they can print upon completion of the course. Penn State will also keep a copy of that certificate for verification purposes.
The cost is $50.00 per person. Some insurance companies are requesting that farmers--and others being insured--show proof of safety training.
The online training can also be a replacement for the book/classroom part of the National Safe Tractor and Machinery Operation Program (NSTMOP), but the hands-on part of that training program still needs to be completed for the NSTMOP certificate of completion.
After completing each module, the participant must complete an online quiz and correctly answer a minimum of 7 out of 10 questions correctly before continuing on to the next module.
AgSafety4u is available online through eXtension Campus Safety & Health.